Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Lent 2018


I remembered Lent as a young girl as the time when I gave up potato chips, and we couldn't get meat lovers pizza on Friday nights after soccer practice. Growing up in the Catholic church and at a Catholic school made walking around with ashes on my forehead as being very normal, and no one ever questioned what was on my forehead.

Lent was simple for me as a young girl. When I went into college it was still simple, since I went to a Catholic college, but I was still challenged because many of my close friends and peers were not Catholic and I did not have someone to really keep me accountable on what I 'gave up' that year.

And that was the kicker. I was just 'giving stuff up' because that's what I thought I was supposed to do. I knew Jesus fasted for 40 days in the desert and that is what we were supposed to represent through Lent, but I never dug deeper into the importance of fasting. I knew Lent was important, I knew that this was a time that I should be growing closer to God, but I just never did.

It wasn't until a couple of months ago after a young adults talk that I went to when Lent's purpose and fasting's purpose truly made sense to me. I remember driving home that night and thinking about what I had previously given up for Lent and what I would give up this year. I then remembered that my fiancé had gave up meat last year, and that I told him he was insane because he lived off of chicken and quinoa. But then I also remember that he constantly told me that every time he wanted chicken he offered that desire up to God. And that's when it clicked. The reason I was giving something up was to offer something that I had taken for granted or gotten so used to that I had to ask God for help when I desired it. By doing this I know that I can grow closer to God during Lent because I will be talking with God more and asking for His help to continue fasting through the 40 days.

During this Lent I am committing to fasting from drink other water and black coffee (since I get horrible migraines from low caffeine levels) and bread. I am also committing to spend 30 minutes in prayer ever day. For part of that prayer time I am going to be utilizing Blessed Is She Lenten Devotional, and posting about my thoughts, perspectives, and struggles through Lent on my blog as part of my accountability.

I'm looking forward to this Lent and growing closer to God during this journey. I am hoping that sharing my story and my experiences will not only hold me accountable, but will also invite others into this Lenten journey with me and grow closer to God through the Bible, temptations, and Mary.

No comments:

Post a Comment