Friday, November 4, 2016

Songs Of Thanksgiving - Psalm 69:30



Psalm 69:30 English Standard Version
I will praise the name of God with a song;
I will magnify him with thanksgiving.

This verse makes me want to jump out of my chair and dance and sing. Psalm 69:30 is a huge reminder to me that not only can people worship God in different ways, but people need to worship Him in thanksgiving.

This verse, written by David, is about his pleas in life and in battle. David begins the psalm with speaking about his life and how he is sinking in deep waters and very stressed. We can all relate to this at some point. Then, David pleas for the Lord’s help with his enemies and asks that God destroys them. After begging for the destruction of his enemies, David again announces that he is in pain and needs God. He exclaims that he will rejoice in song and praise the Lord to thank Him. He continues on his psalm about worshiping God in better ways than just sacrifice.

This part of the psalm is perfect because it shows how in the middle of all of our begging and need we should stop and praise the Lord. David was very artistic in his praise by using song and dance, and has let us know that we can praise the Lord in any way. We need to stop what we are doing and give thanks to God for all that He has done and all that He will do. David is our example because, even though he is begging for God’s mercy and help, he stops to be thankful and praise God.

In our daily lives, we have so much going on that it is hard to just stop, relax, and say a prayer of thanksgiving to God. Everyday we struggle with deadlines, meetings, work, and school. We need to find a time to stop and pray like David does in the middle of this psalm. When I stop in the middle of my day during my lunch break or even while my students are taking a quiz, I say a quick prayer, read a chapter of my Bible study book, or a chapter of the Bible. It is so so relieving to take a step out of this crazy, busy world and think only about God and my relationship with Him. After that, my day goes by so peacefully because I took that break to praise my Lord in the little ways that I praise Him.

I challenge myself, and you, to take 5-10 minutes during your day to stop and pray and praise God. Not only when you first wake up or before you go to bed, but in the midst of your hectic life stop and praise God, and then thank Him for all He has given to you and for His mercy.

Thought Questions:

At what times can I successfully pause my day and take time to be with God in prayer and worship?

During my prayer time, what do I need to focus on the most in order to strengthen my relationship with God?


How can I encourage and support my brothers and sisters in Christ to also stop and praise God during their busy schedule?

No comments:

Post a Comment